- Protect and safeguard cultural and natural heritage
- Learning and educational opportunities
- Cultural participation/social inclusion
- Sustainable tourism
- Support research
- Employment (recruiting, training, safety)
- Energy consumption, greenhouse gas emissions
- Waste management and reduction
- Transport (forms of, energy use)
- Commercial activities including copyright and IP
- Governance and management
- Security, disaster preparedness, risk reduction
- External partnerships and collaborations
- Case studies
Decarbonising transport: Climate smart parking policies
Councils working on greenhouse gas emissions reduction.
- Local Government Association, UK Government
“Parking management is a crucial part of local authorities’ policy toolbox. It can make walking, cycling and public transport more attractive, and it can deliver a shift away from individual car ownership.
Instead of individual car ownership, climate smart parking management can promote car sharing and ride sharing, so everyone can still access cars when they need to. This will require thinking differently about how space is allocated in our towns and cities.
This briefing considers the different elements that typically comprise a good integrated parking strategy. It explains how these policies can be used to accelerate decarbonisation, in line with wider transport, climate and social policy.” (p.4)